Mary Beth Hughes – Vintage American Beauty
Birth Name: Mary Beth Hughes
Date of Birth: November 13, 1919
Date of Death: August 27, 1995
Place of Birth: Alton, Illinois, U.S.
Height: 5 feet 4in; 1.63m
Hughes in one sentence: Mary Beth was a famous B film actress, a talented singer and a devoted professional.
- In early childhood, Hughes began acting in stage productions - Repertoire Theater.
- In 1930, she was offered a part in a touring production of Alice in Wonderland. In the meantime, she caught the attention from a talent scout from Gaumont-British Studios. However, she declined their offer because she wanted to finish school first.
- After Mary made a contract with MGM, she got a role in the 1939 film, Broadway Serenade.
- In 1940 Beth was offered a contract with 20th Century-Fox.
- Her most famous role was in the film “The Ox-Bow Incident”.
- In 1960 she retired from acting and worked as a receptionist in a plastic surgeon’s office.
- In 1970 Beth was back to television shows industry for a short period of time- until 1976 when she decided to retire completely from acting.
- This actress had a very rich filmography. She played in over 60 films and over 30 television shows.
- Mary’s inspiration was her grandmother who was also an actress for a short period of time.
- She was married three times.
Go to Mary Beth Hughes Gallery
Always remember that true beauty comes from within.