Naomi Campbell – The Ultimate Black Supermodel
Birth Name: Naomi Campbell
Date of Birth: May 20, 1970
Place of Birth: London, England
Origin: Afro-Jamaican; Chinese-Jamican
Height: 5 ft 9 in 1.75 m
Measurements: 34-24-34 (in); 86-61-86 (cm)
Campbell in one sentence – Naomi is a beautiful supermodel and a force to be reckoned with.
I don't think I was born beautiful. I just think I was born me.
Look, you have to make mistakes. That's how you learn and that's how the world works.
I may be considered one of the top models in the world, but in no way do I make the same money as any of them.
- Naomi has never met her father, who abandoned her mother when she was four months pregnant.
- She started her modeling career at the tender age of 15.
- Naomi is the very first black model to appear on the cover of British Elle magazine (she was only 16 years old).
- In August 1988, Naomi became the first black model to appear on the cover of French Vogue (she was 18 years old).
- Campbell walked the runway for major fashion brands and designers such as Versace and Dolce and Gabbana.
- Her big friend and mentor was the famous designer Yves St. Laurent.
- She is the part of the “Big Five” – an elite group of models that the fashion industry declared “supermodels”. Other four supermodels in this group are: Claudia Schiffer, Linda Evangelista, Cindy Crawford and Christy Turlington.
- In 1999, she entered rehab after a five-year addiction to cocaine.
- In 2011, Campbell appeared with Liya Kebede and Iman on the cover of the fortieth-anniversary issue of Essence.
- Campbell performed with other supermodels in the closing ceremony of the 2012 Olympic Games, where they modeled haute couture to represent British fashion.
- She is involved with a number of charity organizations including: Nelson Mandela Children's Fund, Breakthrough Breast Cancer, We Love Brazil, Fashion for Relief, and White Ribbon Alliance for Safe Motherhood.
- In 2007, Naomi was named an ambassador of Rio de Janeiro by mayor Cesar Maia in recognition of her efforts to fight poverty in Brazil.
- In 2010, Sarah Brown (the wife of former British prime minister Gordon Brown) presented her with an "Outstanding Contribution" award from British Elle for her work as an ambassador for the White Ribbon Alliance, as well as her work in the fashion industry.
- She dated the boxer Mike Tyson, actor Robert de Niro and a number of other famous men.
- Campbell is shown on a 75 eurocent postage stamp issued by the Austrian Post Office on May 20, 2006.
Go to Naomi Campbell Gallery
Always remember that true beauty comes from within.